In this tutorial you will learn:
1. What is JDBC?
2. Why need to learn JDBC?
What is JDBC?
JDBC stands for Java Database Connectivity. It is an JAVA API (Application Programming Interface) which enables you to connect and work with Database. It uses various types of JDBC Driver which connects different types of Database architecture. For example to connect with MySQL and Oracle, you need different types of Drivers.
MySQL – com.mysql.jdbc.Driver
ORACLE – oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver
DB2 – COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.net.DB2Driver
Sybase – com.sybase.jdbc.SybDriver
JDBC is full of Interfaces and classes that makes your job easier when working with database. JDBC is very easy to learn and within few days you may be master in Java Database Programming.
Why Need to Learn JDBC?
As a Java Developer you need to use database for storing and accessing values. JDBC is written in Java Language that consists great number of interfaces and classes that lest you easily connect and work with any type of database. More fact about JDBC are listed below:
2. JDBC works like a bridge between your Application and Database.
3. It has great number of classes and interfaces that lets you easily connect and work with database.
4. Connection Pooling : It provides Connection Pooling facility that means once you created connection with database you can use it multiple times. There is no need to create same connection every time. Connection Pooling stores your connection for further uses.
5. Rowset : Rowset object contains tabular data that can be passed via network. It is widely used in distributed application.
6. New Datatype Support : It manipulates large object such as BLOB and CLOB easily.
7. Batch Updating : Using this features developer can execute multiple query and send back to database.
This chapter contains short summary of JDBC. As we believe that you can learn more by programming example so we have added complete JDBC programming in each chapter and provides you interface for learning JDBC using Programming Examples.